Our book “Beads in a Necklace” launches today!
I’m so excited. Our book comes home from the printer today and we’re planning a fun celebration of its existence tonight.
Here’s how we’ve described our creation on the backcover:
A Fun Collaboration
This work came to shape slowly over time. Lucy Anglin, Barb Angus, Marian Bulford, Janice Hamilton, Claire Lindell, Sandra McHugh, Dorothy Nixon, Mary Sutherland and I have been gathering monthly for five years. Together, we’ve learned how to craft our research into our ancestors into compelling literary non-fiction that anyone might enjoy reading.
Late last year, we began speaking about the possibility of putting our favourite stories together into a book.
Today, our dream takes shape. In this work, you’ll meet several of our ancestors, including:
- Fille du roi Anne Thomas, who married master carpenter Claude Jodoin in Montreal way back in 1666;
- Felicité Poulin, 18th-century career woman, Ursuline nun and matchmaker;
- Stanley Bagg, Massachusetts-born merchant who helped build the Lachine Canal in the 1820s;
- Gospel singer Edward McHugh, whose 1910-period debut at the Montreal Hunt Club launched an international career; and
- William Anglin, respected Victorian-era Kingston, Ontario surgeon and wannabe thought-reader.
For more information, refer to our book webpage.
Official Book Launch Tonight
Tonight from 7 until 9 p.m., we’ll be celebrating our creation in the hall of the St. John the Baptist Church, 233 St. Claire Street in Pointe-Claire. If you’re in Montreal, feel free to join us for wine, cheese, sandwiches, home-made treats and a couple of readings from the book.
We’ve also put together some photographs and heritage items for a display to highlight some of the stories.
A self-published limited edition paperback will be on sale for $20.
Tomorrow, we’ll take whatever books are left to Livres Presque 9/Nearly New Books, 5885 Sherbrooke O; Montreal, Quebec H4A1X6. You can pick up a copy there while supplies last.
If you prefer a digital copy, an Amazon Kindle edition is available for $3.89.
Hope you enjoy reading our work as much as we enjoyed writing it. I’d love to hear your comments below.